Saturday, July 7, 2012

Paving the Way



When I first saw this pic the first thing that came to mind was, "Just because it's never been done before doesn't mean YOU can't do it". And then I tweaked it to match what my pastor said a few weeks ago, "Just because YOU'VE never done it before doesn't mean YOU can't do it".

I look at this pic and  I wonder if he feels crazy for what he's doing or if he's doubting that he heard from God. But then I noticed that there is an automobile that is already travelling on the road that is being laid by this man. And I wonder if he even knows the car is on the road behind him. He already has a faithful follower.   Whoever this person is behind him, they have so much faith in him that they are following him and he hasn't even made it to the destination. They are following him and they have no guarantee that the road will even be finished. 
And it made me think...

Somebody sees so much in you, has so much faith in you, that they are waiting for you to start moving so they can follow you.  They are waiting for you to get up and start moving so they will know where to go, and how to get there.  They're not even waiting for you to arrive, but right now, they are watching you, shadowing you and being encouraged by every step you take. Watching you move forward is keeping them encouraged to keep moving forward also. They notice you when you don't realize they do. They whisper prayers to God for you so that you will keep going, and stay strong. They admire your courage and your ability to walk by faith. You may be feeling isolated, thinking that you're all alone in the world,  or wondering where your friends have gone.  You may feel discouraged or doubtful about carrying out what God has put in your heart to do. You may have drifted into spending more time second-guessing yourself than believing what God said. But take heart because somebody has your back! 

We usually speak against looking back.  But what I see here is that sometimes we need to look back, just so that we can see that we are not alone.  Someone is following us, supporting us.  They may not be following very closely, or may not say much, or anything at all, but they are right behind you and they believe in you. There is a saying that, "A leader without any followers is just a man taking a walk". But realize that when you follow God's instruction to do anything, someone will follow.  They may follow in silence, and if you give up, they will be discouraged in silence. They may never tell you they believe in you  and they may never tell you that you let them down. But it doesn't mean they are not there.  This is another perspective to walking by faith, because it concerns the people we influence.

Many times the reason we get discouraged when we're walking by faith is because we tend to only see what WE are going through or we only see how things are affecting US.  But here, I see that if I quit, somebody behind me is gonna be stopped in their tracks. My quitting can cause someone to run off the road or skid into that pond. I am not as alone as I think I am, and I am desperately NEEDED.

Where to order books in Kindle and Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment