Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Tribute to Maya

"I ought to be as beautiful as I can be, to myself first, and to anybody else who has enough sense to see me." ~Maya Angelou

When I first started to write poetry people would always tell me that my writings reminded them of the early writings of Maya Angelou. I was often called "the next Maya Angelou". I wasn't sure that it was true but I was honored to be thought of and spoken of that way. Poets tend to become people whose opinions and thoughts become important to others. I hoped that I would get to meet her in person and introduce her to "the next".  :-) Like me, she stood tall, at least 6'. Who knows? Maybe one day another poet will find herself being called "the next Albertine Williams". Hopefully she too will consider it an honor.

Today just a few days after her passing, I am more inspired by her than I've ever been, to use my gift, my talent, my words. I am more inspired to use my voice, to be a voice. Whether I read for a president or not, travel to another nation or not, win an award or not, I want my voice to be heard, by as many as are listening, as many as will read them. I'm more inspired not to waste time, or make assumptions about who is interested in what I have to say.  I know that I do have quite a bit to say, and today, I am determined more than ever to speak, in any way that I can, and pour out everything that God has poured into me.

I know that Maya Angelou was most famous for Still I Rise and Phenomenal Woman, but my favorite of hers was....

In and Out of Time
Maya Angelou

The sun has come.
The mist has gone.
We see in the distance...
our long way home.
I was always yours to have.
You were always mine.
We have loved each other in and out of time.
When the first stone looked up at the blazing sun
and the first tree struggled up from the forest floor
I had always loved you more.
You freed your braids...
gave your hair to the breeze.
It hummed like a hive of honey bees.
I reached in the mass for the sweet honey comb there....
Mmmm...God how I love your hair.
You saw me bludgeoned by circumstance.
Lost, injured, hurt by chance.
I screamed to the heavens....loudly screamed....
Trying to change our nightmares to dreams...
The sun has come.
The mist has gone.
We see in the distance our long way home.
I was always yours to have.
You were always mine.
We have loved each other in and out
in and out
in and out
of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment