Tuesday, August 21, 2012

STUFF GOD SAID TO ME:Where Do You Want to Go?

After my divorce, I had the strangest feeling for the longest time that God had sent a rescue helicopter, dropped the ladder and lifted me out of the danger of a burning building, but flew the helicopter, with me dangling from the ladder out to the middle of the ocean...and stopped.  I would tell people all the time that I felt like this, like I was just dangling over the ocean, finally free, but not going anywhere.





One day I was talking to God about this and He responded with one simple statement. He said, "That's because you haven't told me where you want to go".

Suddenly, for pretty much the first time in my life I was faced with answering to God about what it was I wanted to do with my life, where I wanted to go.  And guess what?  I really didn't know!  My whole life up to that point had been all about what was expected of me or what I felt I needed to do to fit in or please or appease. I hadn't even learned how to really think for myself.  I wanted more out of life, but I had never given much thought to what more really meant, other than more happiness, but I had been so unhappy for so long that I had even begun to doubt that it was actually possible to have a sense of happiness and fulfillment. And here I was being asked where I wanted to go, not by a friend, or boss, or relative, or rich person with enough money to pay for whatever  material thing I wanted, but by God Himself.  He wanted to know from me, what I wanted. And it just so happens that He was the only one who is guaranteed able to bring it to pass!

It took me quite a while to even get my head wrapped around the fact that the Lord would ask me that question. Coming up with the answer required getting to know myself better.  Getting to know myself without the idea of someone else needing to approve or add their two cents.  This was between the Lord and I.  Eventually I came up with my answers and to tell the truth, my list was very simple, and short.  But everything on it means the world to me. :-)
Since I gave my answers I can see how my life began a path to lead me right to the places I told God I wanted to be. A major lesson I learned from this experience is that when we are able to express to God what we desire we are often set on a path that prepares us to receive our desire. Things normally don't just drop into our laps at first. Once they do come to pass we often feel that they just dropped, but if we look back we will often see a process that God walked us through.

I'm reminded of that moment often.  It's helps me when I'm experiencing things that seem to be doing anything but leading me to the answers to that question.  It helps me to be reminded to trust God's plan when I can't trace His hand.  To trust His heart for me when I can't see how what I'm going through fits His plan or how it has anything whatsoever to do with what I've asked Him for.  There have been many lessons learned, tears cried, more questions to be answered, lightbulb moments, and adjustments to my way of thinking concerning how things should happen. One thing is sure though; I'm on my way to where I want to be. I'm closer than I've ever been to some, and others have already been accomplished.


I have a question for you.  Are you like me?  Are you talking about things you haven’t prayed about? Are you talking about unanswered prayers that you haven’t even prayed? Are you befuddled about where God hasn’t taken you or what He hasn’t given you, and you haven’t even made your request known to Him? [Philippians 4:6] [Luke 11:9] [Luke 12:32]
Have you cried out to God about what you don't want but forgotten to express to Him what you do want?  Are you so concerned with being free from what binds you now, that you are neglecting to write your vision for the life you'll live in freedom in the days to come?  The same statement God made to me is a question even for you. "Where do you want to go?  What do you want to do?"  God is waiting for your answer.  You're not as restricted as you may think.  I felt like I had been given a blank check with no limit to how much I could fill it in for.
Take some time now and think about what it is you want and desire, and then make your requests known unto God. He's waiting to hear from you because He wants it for you more than you want it for yourself. Life is an open road before you. Tell God where you want to go and enjoy the journey with Him. Before you say another word about what isn’t happening, go back and make sure that you are being thankful, and ASKING for what you desire [Psalms 37:4].  Then get ready for the ride of your life!



Life Lesson: Make it a practice in life to try and have an answer or solution, or alternative to things that you see as problems. If you are able to voice your opinion about what is wrong or missing, work on also being able to voice how it can be made right or how to receive what is missing.

My books on Amazon in paperback and Kindle



No comments:

Post a Comment