Wednesday, March 2, 2016

2/29/16: Mind a Little More at Ease


I’ve been having the needle poking feeling in my fingertips and toes. It’s bothering me mentally and emotionally.  It’s from the blood sugar.

So this morning I googled, "The Truth About Metformin” and I’ve come across 2 very good articles. The first one at www.drmicozzi.com, gave me some peace about taking it, but advised to be sure and take a good B12 vitamin. It also encourages that when you are trying to get your blood sugar under control it’s the best first line of defense.  The honest truth is, blood sugar got out of control over a long period of time, and for someone like me whose A1C is already 7.3, I need to get it down quickly so I can have some time to get some results from the changes I’m making in my diet. I also liked that the article states that the BEST way to treat and even reverse diabetes is through diet and exercise.

The other article lead me to a third one with some great pointers. It was on www.realdiabetetruth.com.
Restoring thyroid function without drugs
If you have low thyroid function, there are several things you can do to improve it without taking thyroid medication:
• Avoid sugar, white flour and refined foods, which can cause imbalances in thyroid and other hormones.
• Get regular exercise. The benefits of physical activity are too numerous to list here, but one of them is improving thyroid hormone production and utilisation.
• Stress increases output of the adrenal hormone cortisol, which can play havoc with your thyroid.
• Your thyroid combines the amino acid L-tyrosine with the mineral iodine to make thyroid hormone, so it needs a good supply of both these nutrients. Eating protein-rich foods at every meal will normally supply enough L-tyrosine. The best source of iodine is seaweed – get dried seaweed sprinkles to use as a tasty condiment.
• Vitamin D is also crucial to thyroid function. Get 10-20 minutes daily exposure to strong sunlight (without sunscreen), or take a supplement of 4000 IU a day.
• Vitamins in the B-group all play different roles in regulating thyroid function and taking a high-strength vitamin B-complex supplement may be helpful.
• Selenium is also essential for healthy levels of thyroid hormone, but is often lacking in the diet. Best sources are Brazil nuts, salmon, sunflower seeds, beef, mushrooms and onions.
• Consider taking a supplement of sarsaparilla root. The main ingredient of the popular 19thcentury tonic “root beer”, it contains natural steroidal saponins and glycosides that enhance glandular balance and boost hormone production.
COMPLETELY DISTRACTED TODAY, and it’s only 9:49.

Keep my grams of carbs under 100 per day. Rice, beans, pasta.
You need to STOP craving carbs…foods with carbs.
Eat before you get hungry. Every 2-3 hours. Keeps snacks with you. Nuts, peanut butter, apple. I think I’ll opt for the pear instead of the apple. I think apples might be much higher in sugar or carbs than pears. Plus, pears are low in carbs and high in fiber. They move me mightily.

At this point it’s not about calories in/out and fat content. If you’re insulin resistant counting calories and fat makes no difference.


EXERCISE. BURNS UP GLUCOSE AND GETS INSULIN OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM FASTER. Walking 4 times a week for 30 minutes can do a lot of good.

No comments:

Post a Comment