Tuesday, March 1, 2016

02/26/16 Peeing Every 20 Minutes

Weight: down 5 pounds since Monday.
Haven’t had pop since Tuesday. I’ve known people to lose 20-25 pounds JUST from taking pop out of their diets.

I went to the doctor today to discuss meds. I’m sad. He prescribed Metformin. I left there with the kit to stick myself twice a day, three days a week, to monitor my blood sugar. L “I mentioned the things I’ve heard about medications and his response was basically, “don’t listen to them. Listen to your doctor, the one who studied medicine for 12 years.”

After he gave me the rundown of everything I just felt so bad. I told him it sounds almost like a death sentence. He told me to not feel bad or feel like I did something wrong. Because both my parents developed diabetes, he’s convinced that I was bound to get it. He believes it’s hereditary. (I don’t) But he really stressed the best way he could to me to not be hard on myself.  I have a lot to think about. Maybe it will be better to kind of go down the list of things I took away from my meeting with him.

1.    He said he’s treating the diabetes, with Metformin, (which he prescribed). It’s NOT insulin. It’s a medication. THAT’S A PLUS FOR ME.

2.    He said the Metformin will help me lose about 10 pounds. He said it curbs the appetite and might make my bowels loose. STILL LEARY AND A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THAT MED.

3.    He said I was going to get diabetes no matter what because both my parents had it. I DON’T REALLY AGREE WITH THAT. IF THAT WERE TRUE, ALL MY SIBLINGS SHOULD HAVE IT, RIGHT? I BELIEVE THAT WHAT I INHERITED FROM MY PARENTS WAS NOT DIABETES BUT THE EATING AND LIFESTYLE HABITS THAT CAUSE DIABETES….WHICH MEANS, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT.

4.    When I asked him about losing weight and no longer needed the meds, he said that he doesn’t tell people that anymore because when he used to tell them to lose weight and he should be able to take them off the meds if they did well, it made them think that he said they would never have to be on the meds if they lost weight and that’s not true. He said he wants to monitor me and see what he will do next after I lose the weight. But he said what about the skinny people with Type II? They don’t have any weight to lose. That it’s not just about the weight but about the A1C and sugar levels. I understand that. Someone I know recently had a heart attack and he said it was due to his diabetes. And guess what?  He’s not fat.

5.    I mentioned my mother and how she had heart disease and triple bypass surgery. He said that came from her not managing her diabetes. He wants to TREAT me NOW so that I won’t get to that point. Get the blood sugar under control so that I won’t get into the danger zone of heart attack and stroke. My A1C is 7.3 and my sugar is 140, so I AM DIABETIC and we need to get the blood sugar under control. That’s what the meds are for. I WAS STILL JUST AFRAID OF BECOMING DEPENDENT ON THE DRUG AND THEN IT TURNING ON ME EVENTUALLY ANYWAY.

6.    I understand that he studied medicine for 12 years but he didn’t study nutrition for that long. I still want to learn as much as I can about the foods I’m eating so I can make the right changes. In my heart I still believe that this is reversible. If I can eat my way into it, I can eat my way back out of it.


7.    I’m still going to work hard on my eating habits and make as many changes as possible. I’ve already lost 5 pounds this week. I can do this. I just have to be more committed than ever before and my health has to be more important to me than the foods I’m used to eating.

Because of my doctor’s visit this morning I didn’t eat anything until just after 11:00. I was scared to eat. I took two GC with water on the way to work. I was really hungry so I bought a bag of mixed nuts, took out the m&m’s and just ate the nuts and raisins. I sipped on coffee with sweetened cream, and started on my water for the day. They’ve ordered pizza for lunch. Really need to have only two slices or definitely not eat the crust , especially if I have a 3rd slice.

Watching videos by Dr. Merritt from the Merritt Wellness Center.
CONTROLLING BLOOD SUGAR, INSULIN RESISTANCE.

LOWER CARBS. THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM. COUNTING CALORIES AND WATCHING FAT DOES NO GOOD IF YOU’RE INSULIN RESISTENT. LOWER YOUR CARB INTAKE.  ONLY 70-100 GRAMS OF CARBS PER DAY. LOWER THE INTAKE OF CARBS UNTIL YOU NO LONGER CRAVE THEM.

EAT EVERY TWO OR THREE HOURS, EVEN IF YOU’RE NOT HUNGRY. EAT BEFORE YOU’RE HUNGRY. DON’T WAIT UNTIL YOU’RE HUNGRY. KEEP SNACKS WITH YOU.

RICE, BEANS, PASTA, BREADS, POTATOES, ALL HIGH CARBS.

WATCH FOR HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP
WALK FOR 30 MINS 3-4 DAYS A WEEK, OR WALK AFTER A MEAL. THIS HELPS YOUR BODY TO BURN UP  GLUCOSE BEFORE IT DOES DAMAGE TO YOUR BODY.

Today I learned:
Heart attack is the number one cause of death in people with diabetes.
In America 80 percent of people age 55 are either diabetic (A1C 6+) or pre-diabetic (A1C 4-6).
This country is killing us.

Hankering for a pop. I haven’t had any since Tuesday. I feel like buying one and drinking half of it. But it’s only the first week. If I can’t pass the test of the first week, how important is my health to me? God give me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment